BALLARAT AND DISTRICT RED CROSS
The Ballarat and District branch was governed by a council of 50 subscriber members.
The branch reported a membership of 2000. These members and donors made 286,195 articles during the war. A total of £37,662/17/4 was raised, and £3 975 had been sent away to various appeals. These figures would be aggregates. Ballarat alone had 230 members. In 1916-17, £8485 was raised and 62 945 items were sent away.
The branch conducted a Central Workroom and Depot at the City Hall, Ballarat. Names of donors and a brief description of the donated goods or money were reported regularly in The Courier. In some instances the donorwas identified as the contact person for a sub-branch.
Red Cross branches recognised as sub-branches of the Ballarat and District branch were –
Bethel Welsh Presbyterian, Sebastopol
Christ Church Anglican Cathedral
Cymrodorion Society, Bethel, Lydiard St
Lydiard Street Methodist
Neil Street Methodist
Pleasant Street Methodist
Scots Presbyterian Church
Skipton Street Methodist
St Andrew's Presbyterian
St John's Church of England
St Paul's Church of England (Ballarat East)
St Patrick's Cathedral Roman Catholic
St Peter's Church of England
Town and City Mission
Windermere & Burrumbeet
The Ballarat & District Red Cross branch included a number of government school branches –
Agricultural High School
Numerous local business also offered monetary and goods donations.
The Hon Frederick Brawn MLC, was a member of the Red Cross State Divisional Committee.