GLENLYON RED CROSS
Glenlyon Red Cross was formed on 29th July 1915. Membership was about sixteen members. Meetings were probably held on a monthly basis.
In April 1918, the President referred to the early struggle of this the branch and its later success. Perhaps this reflected the careful action of the president in January-February 1916. A vote in January 1916 to donate £10 to the YMCA to support work in Egypt led to sufficient dissent from some members that the President sought advice from Lady Munro Ferguson, President of the Victorian Red Cross Division, wife of the Government General. He also contacted the YMCA. The YMCA was also contacted. The dissenters felt that the donation was of doubtful legality. The two authorities wrote of the close co-operation between both organisations. [not sure what these last two sentences refer to, or what they actually say. Was the donation legal or not?] The funds were donated for the care of sick and wounded.
The branch continued to donate a significant proportion of funds to appeals which were auspiced by the Red Cross and other organisations.
Early in 1918 over one thousand items had been made by the Glenlyon branch. Twelve parcels of goods were sent away to Melbourne over a six-month period.